Sunday, August 15, 2010

I'm Not Mother Theresa, I'm Just Ya Mama

As a parent it seems like there's so much to teach your kids before they leave home.  Some parents do a great job, others not so much.  When I was growing up, and even now, my mother's life as a teen and young adult was somewhat of a mystery.  From what I can tell, her life started in college where she didn't live on campus, but instead lived at a home run by nuns called The Beulah Residence.  There's a protective layer around her that I've stopped trying to penetrate.  I can only imagine some of the pitfalls I could have avoided if she had been more willing to share what I call "the real side" of her.

I try to be very open with PoS.  In fact, I probably tell her more than she ever wants to know about my childhood, high school and college years.  All of this is in an effort to teach her life lessons so that she won't have to learn them the hard way like I did.  This week I'll share some of the things I've told her in a series called, I'm Not Mother Theresa, I'm Just Ya Mama.  

Drinking until my gums went numb? Yep, I did it.  Trying to figure out if my dorm or my friends was closer when we stumbled out of a party at 5:00 a.m.?  Guilty!  Throwing myself at the feet of the financial aid guru when I found myself short on money? Heck yes that was me!

In the words of Bill Cosby, stick around, you just might learn something.

0 comments:

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment